Monday, December 3, 2012

Has anyone had to change prescriptions years after cataract surgery?

Q. I had cataract surgery 5 years ago. I had complications after surgery and struggled to see for two and a half years one of my problems was cloudy lense in the left eye, had jag laser done in 6/06. My vision was sooooo great. Got glasses for reading a few months later. I was just wondering if anyone here had to have new glasses every two or five years after surgery.

A. In cataract surgery, the ophthalmologist removes the clouded lens from your eye and replaces it with a clear, artificial lens. This lens is very durable and should last for the rest of your life.

Your vision after cataract surgery generally doesn't deteriorate over time. However, sometimes the lens capsule that holds the implant becomes cloudy. In such cases, the cloudy capsule can easily be treated with a laser to make it clear again.

Most people will require glasses after cataract surgery � either for close-up work, distance or both. If you currently wear glasses, your prescription will likely require a correction for close-up work after surgery.

Take care as always


How old should you be before you have eye surgery (to correct your eye sight)?
Q. I am near-sighted and am 13.5 years old. How old should I be before getting corrective eye surgery?

A. Laser vision correction, such as lasik, should not be done until your eyes have stabilized- in other words not until you are no longer changing the power of your glasses or contact lenses. This rarely occurs before age 18 years, and may not be until your 20's. For more information about laser vision correction contact http://tinyurl.com/Dr-Groden


What does the future hold for LASIK eye surgery?
Q. I'm going to school to become a commercial pilot. Obviously my career depends on being able to see 20/20 with or without correction (I'm 20/200 without contacts, slight astigmatism). I'm 30 years now but have considered eye surgery my entire life. (even RK back in the day). Obviously technology has improved by leaps and bounds. When LASIK rolled out I thought how could it get better than this? My best friend is a MD and he told me to hold off for a few years (this was 4-5 years ago) and now we have custom wavefront LASIK. I have had friends who've had both done with excellent results. Now with wavefront LASIK advancements, what else is on the horizon??? Are some stellar new techniques currently being developed that will roll out in the next 4-5 years?

My eye doctor is suggesting PRK. Night vision problems could also end my career. I've heard there is less chance of reduced night vision (halos /startbursts) with PRK. The NAVY only allows PRK surgery for their pilots.

A. You are right about the side effects. Thats whats stopping me from doing the procedure so far. There are a lot more but the main side effects are halos and dry eyes. I saw some more mentioned here http://lasereyesurgerytruth.com/vision/latest/be-aware-of-these-laser-eye-surgery-complications-2.html


Can eye ball grow after laser eye surgery and why?
Q. I had a check up today at laser eye clinic to check if i can have lasik again after 5 yrs as the shortsightness has returned slightly over the years on my right eye and doctor said can't have surgery anymore as my retina is thin and the reason that the shortsightness has returned is becuase the eye ball has grown and made my vision worse slightly! my qeustion is how does that happen and why my eye ball has grown?

A. Yes, your eye ball can grow longer, and it has nothing to do with the laser surgery. The LASIK affects your eye's cornea. It's kind of like the window at the front of the eye.
The eye can get longer if you are still in a growth spurt, and still a teenager. But myopic eyes may experience lengthening eyes anyway throughout adulthood, but the rate of change may be much slower.
If you did this LASIK thing as a kid, then that was a mistake, because you should get it done when your myopia (eye prescription) is stable for a few years as an adult.





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Has anyone had to change prescriptions years after cataract surgery?
Rating: 98% based on 3217 ratings. 4,8 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

0 comments:

  © Blogger template Camera Info by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP