Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Can laser eye surgery correct to and beyond 20/20 vision?

Q. I am getting corrective laser eye surgery (in about a year and a half) and at the moment my vision is 6/24 (20/80). I am wondering if surgery would correct this to AND beyond 6/6 (20/20).

Is is possible to get better than 6/6 (20/20) vision through corrective laser eye surgery at all?

A. Yes many people that have had LASIK see 20/15 a few see 20/10. You need to ask about custom LASIK. Your eye has aberrations besides the sphere and cylinder that we correct with glasses and contacts. Custom LASIK addresses these aberrations. On every laser eye procedure, the surgeon is going to attempt to give you the best vision possible. This has more to do with accuracy than over correction as one of the other posters seems to think.


What does the future hold for LASIK eye surgery?
Q. I'm going to school to become a commercial pilot. Obviously my career depends on being able to see 20/20 with or without correction (I'm 20/200 without contacts, slight astigmatism). I'm 30 years now but have considered eye surgery my entire life. (even RK back in the day). Obviously technology has improved by leaps and bounds. When LASIK rolled out I thought how could it get better than this? My best friend is a MD and he told me to hold off for a few years (this was 4-5 years ago) and now we have custom wavefront LASIK. I have had friends who've had both done with excellent results. Now with wavefront LASIK advancements, what else is on the horizon??? Are some stellar new techniques currently being developed that will roll out in the next 4-5 years?

My eye doctor is suggesting PRK. Night vision problems could also end my career. I've heard there is less chance of reduced night vision (halos /startbursts) with PRK. The NAVY only allows PRK surgery for their pilots.

A. You are right about the side effects. Thats whats stopping me from doing the procedure so far. There are a lot more but the main side effects are halos and dry eyes. I saw some more mentioned here http://lasereyesurgerytruth.com/vision/latest/be-aware-of-these-laser-eye-surgery-complications-2.html


Is it possible to fly jet in the air force with less than perfect vision?
Q. Just wondering if there is any possibility of someone with near-sightedness to join the air force, with the possibility of becoming a jet-fighter pilot. I've always heard that most, if not all, pilots have perfect 20/20 vision or better. I've also read that those with Lasik eye surgery are not allowed to become jet pilots since there are concerns regarding their safety. Can someone please shed some light. Thank you!

A. It depends on how severe your vision:
Currently it's 20/70 correctable to 20/20.
No colorblindness, astigmatism or nightblindness
Good depth perception.
If you wear hard contacts, quit.
If you wish to surgically correct your vision, PRK is the preferred method. LASIK has the danger of the flap becoming displaced under high negative-G maneuvers.
If you have any other questions please PM me.
OBTW
For the smarta#%$ dissing my bro's, well MAYBE if the Brits used the proper procedures to mark their locations, and MAYBE if they let others in the command chain know what they were doing, friendly fire incidents would be minimized.
Read the friggin' reports


What is the minimum service requirement for a military pilot?
Q. What about a helicopter pilot? Also, if you have had laser eye surgery and have a corrected 20/20 vision are you able to be a pilot? Or do you have to have good uncorrected vision?

A. For a helicopter pilot, you must be either a warrant officer or commisioned officer, eyesight correctible to 20 /40, a US citizen, a GT on the asvab of 110 or higher, and meet Army height / weight requirements.

You also must take the AFAST test and score 90 or higher.
For Warrant Officer school, these are the requirements. http://www.usarec.army.mil/hq/warrant/
Just look through the website. I am assuming you are a civilian? If so, you can still do it. The requirements are there. If you are already in the military, you need to put together a packet.

All the information you need should be on that website. If you would like any more, I would be happy to answer you. Just say so =)

Unless you have a college degree already, the Warrant program is an excellent way to go.
And I can't remember which, but you can be a pilot with either PRK or Lasix, like I said, can't remember which.

EDIT
Just read through the info, this is a quote
"You cannot have had Radial Keratonomy eye surgery."
I'm assuming this is PRK.





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Can laser eye surgery correct to and beyond 20/20 vision?
Rating: 98% based on 3217 ratings. 4,8 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

0 comments:

  © Blogger template Camera Info by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP