Thursday, January 17, 2013

How old do you have to be to have Lasik eye surgery?

Q. Can you be 16? If you do it at that age will it put you in any danger?
Is Lasik eye surgery permanent?! (will your vision be 20/20 all your life?!

also, if someone could tell me about how much it costs to have a congenital cataract remove, that'd be great!

A. Very permanent they cut a flap in the eye and use the laser under the flap then reposition it. You may never get 20/20 it all depends on your sight before surgery, laser eye surgery is designed to stop people having glasses, glasses are not giveb until your eyesight is below 16 so as long as they get it to that point.

And you hsve to be 18 and prices will depend entirely on the clinic. Go on the internet and read about it there are billions of pages about it.


Am I eligable to get Lasik eye surgery?
Q. I am 16 right now and wanted to get lasik eye surgery because I am planning on enlisting at 18 and then try to get into the army SF which requires 20/20 vision, so, the question is can I get it now or do I have to wait til I am 18?

A. The problem with getting this done too young is, they can only correct the level of vision defect that is present at the time you have it done so, if your vision continues to get worse afterwards, you would either have to have the procedure re-done or get glasses again. Usually, your vision does not stabilize until you are about 21 and they usually like to see no change in prescription for at least a year preferably 2, so it usually winds up being in your early 20's before you can have it done. You also might want to check with the recruiter as the SF might not allow somebody in if they have had the procedure (sometimes they have weird regulations etc).


What do you think about lasik eye surgery?
Q. I want to get lasik surgery but I remember about 9 years ago when I was about 18 and I wanted to get the procedure done, someone I worked with told me that it was dangerous. She told me before lasik there was a different type of eye surgery. It produced the same result as the lasik but 20 years later there vision was worse than before and they were practically blind. That scared me. Is this true? Is lasik surgery safe?

A. LASIK eye surgery is a medical procedure that can correct your vision by altering the physical properties of your eye. Unlike traditional surgical procedures that depend upon the skills and steadiness of the surgeon's hand, advanced LASIK eye surgery is computer controlled.

The more progressive LASIK surgery centers perform in-depth analysis of your eyes as an evaluation procedure to determine if you're a good candidate for the LASIK procedure. The evaluation process, which is largely controlled by computer itself, maps the overall physical makeup of each eye. A traditional eye exam determines your visual abilities and then an exhaustive computer analysis determines if your eyes can be enhanced by the LASIK procedure.

In addition to determining whether or not you're a good candidate for LASIK, the procedure also records quite a bit of data that's specific to your eyes. If you choose to proceed with the LASIK surgery, this data is used to program the computer controlled LASIK equipment to insure that your eyes are modified exactly in the proper manner so as to provide maximum benefit.

LASIK eye surgery does carry some risks, such as loss of vision. In some extremely rare cases, the patient may lose vision due to equipment malfunction, scarring or healing related complications.

One common risk of LASIK eye surgery is that any dry eye condition that is experienced right after surgery may hamper the healing process. Signs of dryness are burning, redness and decreased vision. If this dry eye condition persists, you may have to medicate to improve tear duct function and use artificial tears to maintain the proper level of moisture. You must keep your eyes moist after LASIK surgery in order to promote healing.

LASIK eye surgery is relatively safe and it can free you from glasses and contacts. Before you commit to LASIK surgery, make sure that you consider all the advantages and disadvantages of having the procedure. Ask the doctor lots of questions so that you can make an informed decision about whether LASIK eye surgery is the right choice for you.


What is the procedure of Lasik surgery like?
Q. Is the procedure of Lasik surgery painful?
I'm 18 years old and I recently asked my dad for contacts, which he said yes to. But he gave me the suggestion on getting Lasik surgery. It has been a week now and he is strongly suggesting to get the surgery.

I'm afraid of pain and I really hate the idea of doing the surgery. I'm wondering if anyone can tell me what it's like during the procedure and after. Thank you.

A. I had lasik back in April. It didn't hurt at all. Afterwards, all I had was a little dryness, maybe a little burning, but nothing that I would even consider uncomfortable. All of this went away in just a few days, and they give you drops that completely ease this. All I can say is that it was the best thing that I have done in a long time. Waking up the next morning and being able to see things clearly, there is nothing like that.

One thing that I did do was research the doctors in my area. I ended up paying almost $4000 for my surgery, but I got the best. (your eyes are nothing to skimp on).
There are some downsides to consider. 1) It is sort of a trade off. You get nice clear distant vision, but as you age, your reading vision will decline. At around 40 (average) you will need reading glasses at about the same strength of your current distant vision. On the other hand, everybody loses reading vision as they age anyway. I figure. I would have ended up needing reading glasses when I get old anyway, plus I much prefer only wearing glasses for reading as opposed to all the time for the rest of my life. Also, I am 37 now, and my reading vision is perfect so far.
2) You may hear some people say that you will see a halo around lights after the surgery, but this is temperary, and is mostly just around LED lights, and it never bothered me much.
A doctor will map your eye so that the best outcome is achieved. So as long as you find a good doctor, you will be fine.

The actual procedure takes about 10 min. total. They lay you down under the machine, numb your eyes with drops. Then, they place a thing around your eye to hold the lid open (doesn't hurt, just a little pressure) then they will tell you to look at a light and the laser cuts the flap. The doctor folds the flap back, and for a second your vision goes blurry. Then the laser zaps off the correct amount of your cornia in the exact spots that your eye map dictates. Then the dr. folds the flap back down and then he will use a surgical wipe to wipe down the flap on your eye. You will see all of this, but all you will feel is wetness from the solution. Then, he swings you around under the other side of the machine, and does everything on the other eye. Plus, you will feel totally relaxed, because they give you a valium before starting.





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: How old do you have to be to have Lasik eye surgery?
Rating: 98% based on 3217 ratings. 4,8 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

0 comments:

  © Blogger template Camera Info by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP