Saturday, January 19, 2013

I have contact lenses and I am 13. Will I be able to become an RAF pilot with laser eye surgery?

Q. I have always wanted to be a pilot (specifically a pilot) in the RAF but I have contact lenses.
Do you think in 5 years my sight could recover? (probably not)
And if I were to have laser eye surgery, would I be allowed?

A. At this point in time you can't tell what will happen 5 years in advance. Your eyes are quite likely to change and that could be for better or worse although its more likely they will get worse. In 5 years time RAF rules on this type of thing may have changed and will in any case depend on your exact perscription at the time. Also there may be new developments - when I was 13 contacts were new and laser surgery unheard of. Keep hoping but do make other plans as well.


Can you do laser eye surgery if you wear contacts?
Q. I heard that wearing contacts damages / cuts / weakens the main muscle that is worked on when you get laser eye surgery. If i wear contacts for the next 5 or 6 years, can i still do laser eye surgery? provided i am of reccomended age?

A. Yes you can. Your eyes will change a lot until you reach the age of 25 or so and then they will tend to stabilize whether you wear contacts or not. The only thing that can really weaken a muscle is bad nutrition. Many people go from wearing contacts to getting the procedure done. You will have to wear glasses for a short period before getting tested and the surgery, but that's about it.

good luck to you


If i get laser eye surgery will i ever be able to wear glasses again?
Q. Im pretty young, 16, but my vision is HORRIBLE and i mean horrible ( -4.5) Without my glasses or contacts i can't see anything. I'm waiting to turn 21 so i can be eligible for laser eye surgery but I heard once you get surgery and years later when your vision gets blurry again you cant wear glasses or contacts! Is this true?

A. First off, don't worry, -4.50 is well within the range of what they can do with a laser. (I was a -6.50, and the surgeon sorta scoffed and said "you're not that bad").
Secondly, absolutely not true: you can wear glasses after surgery, or contacts (although sometimes the contacts don't fit as well because of the shape of the cornea afterwards). Glasses won't necessarily fix all the resultant problems, for instance glare or haloes at night, but there's absolutely no reason you can't wear them afterwards.


How can i improve my eye site when i have a prescription of around -16 in both eyes?
Q. im 17 years old and my eyesite is really bad, my dad has an eye site of -5 due to years of rowing and my mum -1 because she works on a computer all day. I know of some basic eye site exercises and i'll probably get laser eye surgery in a year or 2 because i think they will run out of a prescription for me.


Can anyone recommend anything that i can do to make my site better or at least stop it at its current level?

A. "my dad has an eye site of -5 due to years of rowing"

no, sorry, not possible for "rowing" to cause -5. genetics.

"and my mum -1 because she works on a computer all day"

ok, plausible.

"I know of some basic eye site exercises"

those will not help. dont bother.

"and i'll probably get laser eye surgery in a year or 2"

no. you're not a very good candidate. to much Rx for most corneas. the more Rx you have, the more cornea needs to be removed to accomodate the Rx. -16 is too much Rx for most corneas. if you had a refractive surgery it'd be more like "phakic iols" (ie "implatable contacts"). not laser. laser cant usually do -16.

"because i think they will run out of a prescription for me"

not possible.

"Can anyone recommend anything that i can do to make my site better or at least stop it at its current level?"

no. not that will work. not:

carrots
leafy green vegetables
fish oil
st. john's wort/bilberry/ginko biloba/any vitamin or supplement
eye exercises
bates method/see clearly method
palming
patching
"resting" your eyes
magic beans

or any other thing you have heard or read.





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: I have contact lenses and I am 13. Will I be able to become an RAF pilot with laser eye surgery?
Rating: 98% based on 3217 ratings. 4,8 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

0 comments:

  © Blogger template Camera Info by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP