Thursday, January 3, 2013

lasik or laser eye surgery for asians?

Q. is getting laser or lasik surgery a good idea for small eyes? i'm chinese i have very bad eye sight and small eyes.
how old do i have to be to get this surgery?

*my eyes blink so much that it is difficult to get contacts in and out, it would take hours. so i just wear thick glasses=(
can my eyes get worst after the surgery?
what are the chances of blindness?

A. I am caucasian, but have small eyes and high cheek bones. I went to one of the best Lasik doctors in the U.S. and had a bad experience, just two days ago. Now, I can see nothing with my right eye -- everything is a total blur. But, it is supposed to improve within a week or two.

The Lasik failed. I was given no anesthesia, just Xanax and Valium, which turned-out to be totally inadequate in my case. The procedure was unbearably painful.

Because my eyes are small, the doctor had to use more force and pressure to open my eyes wide enough for the procedure. I have a high pain tolerance and breezed through lens replacement surgery before this (which is a much bigger deal than Lasik). But, the pain on my eyebrow bone and cheek bone was so bad, that my eye involuntarily started squeezing very hard against the force around my eye and was popping out the device. I was also panicking a bit because they said the discomfort would only be for a very short period, but in fact was much longer because of their repeated attempts at the procedure.

The doctor tried suction 3 times and managed to make some laser incisions. But, the doctor confirmed all that resulted was essentially ZERO for vision improvement. He also admitted that my eye was "beat up" (doctor's exact words) in the process. Well, there is no doubt about that because my eye is swollen, sore and everything is a complete blur (I can't even read the largest letters on an eye chart).

Thank God the doctor refused to work on the left eye after the problems with the right eye. I would be essentially blind in both eyes right now if he had tried.

The doctor recommended PRK instead. But, that does not appeal to me because the procedure has more risk of human error, takes longer to recover from and takes much longer for the vision improvements to materialize.

I am thinking that I will suggest to the doctor that we try Lasik again, BUT..., I need a strong pain killer like percoset or morphine ahead of time (the doctor said anesthesia won't work for bones). The Xanax and Valium were a joke.

I simply had no idea this could happen and was just extremely disappointed. I am hoping the vision in my right eye returns quickly as it heals from being "beat up." The pain during the procedure was just intolerable.


Vision Surgery Dilemma... Suggestions or Advice?
Q. I have been told that I should watch for RETINAL DETACHMENT. I have myopia and wear contacts of -8.00 for both eyes (yeah I know its pretty bad).

I was hoping to have Lasik eye surgery sometime in the near future, preferably after having kids (I had heard that your vision may change after or during pregnancy .. can anyone confirm this?)

I guess my question is, with all these things that could happen, should I even try to have Lasik done.

Could anyone also tell me a little more information about Retinal detachment that's not on Wiki.

Thank you in advance.

A. Ditto to David.

Since you are nearsighted (myopia), that "simply" means that your eye has too much power and is too long. That's why you need a minus prescrption for your contact lenses which is pretty high. Because your eye is overall larger, that causes all the tissues inside, including your retina, to be more stretched. This stretching and tension is what puts you at risk for a retinal detachment. You may never actually have one, but it is still good for you to be educated on the signs and symptoms just in case, since you are more at risk.

Your retinal is a layer of cells that lines the inside of your eye, way in the back behind the colored part of your eye (the iris). A retinal detachment (RD) occurs when the retina comes apart from the underlying tissues that supply nutrients to the cells in the retina. Without nutrition, the cells in the retina can die from being detached. When the cells die, that's when you permanently lose vision from those cells.

If you do have a RD, you may notice very suddenly having A LOT of floaters in your eyes as well as flashes of light (kind of like lightning) that you may notice the most in the dark room, like before you go to bed. The flashes of light occur because of the edges of the RD pulling on the cells that are still attached, sending light signals (flashes) to your brain. You may also feel like a "curtain" or a "veil" has come over your vision, or things just aren't quite right. There is no pain associated with a RD.

There are treatments for RD's, but it depends where the retina has detached. And of course, the longer you wait to get treatment, the more permanent the damage becomes.Some of the treatment is not very "nice" and entails sitting with your head in a specific position for over one week. No moving at all. Not joking. So we'd much rather have you come in for a false alarm RD, than think that nothing is wrong and don't come in at all.

Here's some more info on RD's:
http://www.medicinenet.com/retinal_detachment/article.htm
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/retinal-detachment/DS00254
http://www.nei.nih.gov/health/retinaldetach/retinaldetach.asp


Pregnancy may change your vision during the pregnancy or slightly after, due to all the hormonal changes. But typically, most women either don't change a significant amount or they go back to what they were before they were pregnant when the hormones settle down. You most definitely do not want to do LASIK while you are pregnant, only because your vision may be fluctuating.

As far as LASIK goes, you would need to have an evaluation to see if you are a candidate. There are a lot of other things to consider besides just your prescription such as your corneal thickness/topography, ocular health, your prescription has been stable, and expectations. And with any surgery for any part of your body, there are risks and complications, although rare. I've known doctors who have been able to correct high prescriptions such as yours, but typically surgeries aren't as successful for higher prescriptions as they are for lower ones.

However, if you are interested in LASIK, I would highly suggest you make an appointment with your eye doctor (optometrist) and have an evaluation. I had LASIK surgery myself 3 years ago and I had just perfect results. It was the best thing I've ever done and I love being free of glasses and contacts.

And here's some additional information about LASIK if you want to read up.
http://www.allaboutvision.com/visionsurgery/
http://minnesota.aoa.org/x6746.xml
http://www.aoa.org/x4749.xml


my parents are going to pay for my eye lasik surgery but i still do not know?
Q. should i take the risk and have the operation or should i keep going with contact lenses and glasses.

please tell me the disadvantage of it if you had the experience or know of some one?

it is so big decisions for me

A. There's a lot you need to research before committing to surgery. Laser eye surgery is NOT always permanent and you would be wise to have an independent eye exam before going to a consultation; I have had three consultations, one was spot-on accurate, one was okay but could have been better and the last one was a f***ing joke. Remember, they are in it for the MONEY so don't take their word for anything.

It is very safe if it is done by a good surgeon and you don't necessarily pay any more for a top surgeon than you do for a mediocre one so check his or her credentials!


Lasik Eye Center Suck/never do a Lasik surgery there!!?
Q. They mess up my eyes, i am even worst that when i used to wear glasses, what can i do? i am freaking out. i have this terribel headache and my vision is getting worst by the day. i can barely see now.. please advise

A. That sucks! I work at a LASIK center in San Jose, CA and Pleasanton, CA.

It takes 3 months for your vision to stabilize. So it may just be that. Some patients don't see 20/20 within the first day w/LASIK. Some take 24-48 hours to notice improvement. Hopefully you were given eye drops to use after surgery - antibiotics (use for 5 days afterwards), anti-inflammatory(also 5 days afterwards), and artificial tears (for 1 month after) to use.

I hope you did not go to a "bargain center" for surgery. I know those $499/eye sounds appealing and definitely affordable but those are usually Dr's who are just starting out and need to gain the experience. Even centers that offer "lifetime guarantees" are a joke as most of them won't even be around 5-10 years later when you will need something.





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: lasik or laser eye surgery for asians?
Rating: 98% based on 3217 ratings. 4,8 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

0 comments:

  © Blogger template Camera Info by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP