Sunday, May 26, 2013

In lieu of bifocal lenses my surgeon suggests one of each in cataract surgery will this work?

Q. I am 74 years old and have worn bifocal glasses for 36 years, I have cataracts in both eyes and am having surgery. I do not wish to spend $6000 for the bifocal lenses so the surgeon strongly recommends putting a distance lens in one eye and a reading lens in the other. I worry it won't work and once it is done, it is done. Has anyone had this done and how did it work?

A. I've met many who have had that done, and every one of them I have met, regret it. Either with implants after cataract surgery or with Lasik surgery which many laser clinics also push as a solution.

Not everyone can get used to that to begin with , and even those who can , still find that night driving is a nightmare after because they have lost depth perception.

Using just one eye for reading is also tiring much faster than when both are used.

There is much more pleasure in having good distance vision in both , and using reading glasses for near.

That is the same process we often try on people in their 40's called Monovision , with contacts lenses. Only about 40% are successful with it, during daylight hours but the vast majority of that 40% also find they can't wear the lenses like that ( one for near, one for distance) comfortably at night.

It must work for some people, but being irrreversable, personally, I wouldn't take the chance. With monovision in contacts, they just stop wearing them like that if it doesn't work.

Good luck with your choice. I have given you my experience with probably 50 or 60 patients over the last couple of years.





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: In lieu of bifocal lenses my surgeon suggests one of each in cataract surgery will this work?
Rating: 98% based on 3217 ratings. 4,8 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

0 comments:

  © Blogger template Camera Info by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP