Sunday, July 21, 2013

What about Orthokeratology ? Other methods of "treating" myopia?

lasik eye surgery nz
 on ... determine value in relation to other new zealand web sites read more
lasik eye surgery nz image




Alice


Lately, I searched about the methods of correcting myopia. One of the methods I found is the so called "orthokeratology", or "Ortho-K".
I know that those are contact lenses, worn at night, and that they reshape the epithelial cells of the cornea .
However, I still have some questions about them... Mainly , those are:

1) Approximately , what is the price of those lenses? I found prices that varies from $200 to $2500. What is the correct price? I have -1.5D LE and -1.75D RE. Also, I am slight cross-eyed (I asked for surgical intervention, but the doctor told me that the deviation is too small, and is most likely a neurological cause for the deviation |am I crazy? xD| . And also, there is the risk that by not wearing my prism lenses, the strabismus would come back at full force, making me look like a weird person...).
2) Except from the infection problems, common for any contact lenses, are any other risks involved? I am quite skeptical with the whole "pressure on the eye" thing.
3) Are there any doctors outside UK and US ? I don't live there, and if I have to travel thousands of miles to the closest doctor ...
4) I guess age isn't a problem, is it? I'm 15, turning 16 next month.
5) How often do I need to change the lenses? Once a month? Once a year? Less?

I will be grateful if any of you (who are wearing these type of contact lenses) would tell me about your experience with them.

Also, I found a lot of other types of correcting myopia, varying from surgical interventions, to contact lenses, even looking to the sun or making certain "exercises" with the eye.
The LASIK, or, mainly, any other surgery , sounds too much for me, as it is too invasive and irreversible, and they have too many complications.
Contact lenses are OK with me, but not with my parents, since they are afraid of eye infections.
I currently wear glasses (and I wear them since 3 yo), and I got bored with them, plus they are in way of about any activity I want to do. Sports? If I get a ball in my face they would break, if I don't wear them I can't see the ball. Playing with my little sister? She would slap them off my face (... >.>). PLUS they get scratches all the time, they get dirty, and I also had enough of the "tunnel view" (since I can only see clear through the part where the lenses are) and the aching nose...

All in all, that's all I have to say, and I will be grateful if you could tell me about orthokeratology, or any other correcting methods.



Answer
Congratulations on your research. It is not easy to always find the information one needs.

You can find a lot of information about Ortho-K at http://www.OrthoKDoctors.com

Cost does vary, just like it varies for something like braces for your teeth. The $200 figure you found was probably just for the material lens, maybe a replacement of a lens known to work. Most doctors are in the $1500 to $2000 range (including the cost of the lenses) for "normal" eyes and your prescription looks like it might fit that category if all other factors are normal.

The eye deviation is something that would have to be determined by your doctor. If the only way to correct it is with prism in your glasses, then ortho-k won't work well for you. Often the necessity of prism can be compensated for by specific vision training exercises, but you need professional advice. Not all doctors provide vision training and sadly many don't refer for it either. I'm not saying it would work for you - just something to determine.

To find a doctor outside the UK/US: If you are in Australia/NZ, check out this web site to find a doctor: http://www.osa.net.au/
If you are in South Africa, try http://orthokcompany.com/orthokeratology/find-a-practitioner.html

Your age is no problem as long as you have healthy eyes and are responsible, meaning you are mature enough to take care of the lenses and your eyes as directed.

The lenses last somewhere between a year and three years on average. Some doctors have you replace them every year to reduce problems and some wait until the lenses aren't working correctly and replace them. The only problem with waiting for problems is that the problems are then sometimes more time consuming to fix than if the lenses were just replaced routinely. Sorta like changing the oil in your car when the car is running fine.

To see other ideas to correct myopia, take a look at http://www.MyopiaPrevention.org It talks about keeping your myopia from getting worse, which is different than making it go away.

Your parents are correct that eye infections are the biggest risk factor for contact lens wear. That's part of the reason why I said you had to be responsible. But the risk is low and the long term complications are rare. I've never had a contact lens patient lose any vision from their contacts. Yes, they do occasionally get infections. You stop wear and treat the infection. No guarantees, obviously.

Good luck!




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: What about Orthokeratology ? Other methods of "treating" myopia?
Rating: 98% based on 3217 ratings. 4,8 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

0 comments:

  © Blogger template Camera Info by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP