Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Do you need laser eye surgery to become a National Guard pilot?

Q. Some places I read up on say all you need is "correctable to" 20/20 vision (glasses/contacts okay) and some places say you NEED to get laser eye surgery to become an Army National Guard pilot (rotary aircraft). Which statement is true and if the answer is "correctable", do pilots wear glasses/contacts when they fly?

A. In the Army and NG, applicants for aviator training must have uncorrected distant visual acuity no worse than 20/50 in each eye. If distant visual acuity is 20/50 or better in either eye, each eye must be correctable to 20/20 with no more than 1 error per 5 presentations of 20/20 letters, and uncorrected near visual acuity must be 20/20 in each eye; with no more than 1 error per 5 presentations of 20/20 letters; both near and distant vision are as measured on the AFVT or any Snellen near visual acuity card. This includes vision corrected by laser surgery, but normally ONLY if the surgery is performed by Army as the standards for gauging success are very complex; see page 8 of AR 40-501. Once you have earned your wings, your vision must be 20/400 correctable to 20/20 and you can fly with glasses; I did in the Navy. Under some circumstances waivers are granted to student aviators, particularly if they are more than 50% through training.


Does laser eye surgery make your eyes perfect?
Q. I want to be a helicopter pilot but I have glasses and need laser eye surgery. Would laser eye surgery make my eyes perfect like 20/20 vision. or better than 20/50 vision?
Also I heard if you get surgery you can be a helicopter pilot in the army. is this true?

A. Your vision could go either way, really good or really bad. Majority of patients get really good vision.

My psychology professor got lasik and he was told that he could fly an airplane. And he's in his 50's.


Can you get better vision without laser eye surgery?
Q. I read to join the air force you have to have 20/20 vision but i don't have 20/20 vision I have glasses and each lens is 1.75 each. I can see perfectly fine up close but from faraway i cant see. I was wondering if there i way i can fix this with out laser eye surgery because the air force won't let someone in with the surgery.

A. http://usmilitary.about.com/od/airforce/l/bllasersurgery.htm

I think you will find the surgery won't block you from joining the Air Force...they provide it.


What kind of eye problem can cause illusions/seeing things distorted?
Q. It happens at night. I have had lasik surgery so I see better than 20/20, and this has been happening before I got my surgery. I am seeing a ophthalmologist in two weeks but I was just wondering if anyone knows anything. It's not a psychological problem because I asked my psychiatrist today about it and he's the one who suggested I see an ophthalmologist.

A. could be glaucoma or even a brain tumour. better get that checked out





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Do you need laser eye surgery to become a National Guard pilot?
Rating: 98% based on 3217 ratings. 4,8 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

0 comments:

  © Blogger template Camera Info by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP