Saturday, December 8, 2012

how old are you supposed to be to have lasik eye surgery?

Q. I am 15 yrs. Im turning 16 this september and i want lasik eye surgery.But i don't know if theres a age for it.

A. I had Lasik eye surgery done after wearing glasses for 16 years. It has been perfect for me. I have had no changes. Of course, as I age, I expect changes. I also co-manage refractive surgery and have seen hundreds of successful patients. It doesn't hurt, generally. There is a bit of pressure, but no real pain if you have LASIK. The PRK version (where no flap is cut) is a little more uncomfortable for the first few days following the procedure. I've seen several people who said they were in some pain, but healed just fine. I used to wear both glasses and contact lenses. I had LASIK done and it's the best decision I've ever made. I can see clearly, no squinting, no driving with glasses anymore. I can read road signs, see the individual leaves in the trees (they're not just a blurry mess anymore). It's also nice to be able to see what time it is when I wake up. The procedure is painless (although a bit uncomfortable) but takes less than 15 minutes. Highly recommended.

If you need help finding a reputed surgeon in India u can check out the ink below:
http://www.indianhealthguru.com
You can schedule a free appointment there and they'll answer all your questions and see if you qualify as a good candidate or not


Is LASIK eye surgery something that I should look into?
Q. Ok my current vision is -6.5 in both eyes with contacts. I'm thinking of getting LASIK eye surgery, as far as I know I dont have astigmatism I passed glaucoma tests etc. At my local eye doc. I think it would benefit me with my job as I work in a high dust environment and constantly go through new contacts, my question is this. How much could my vision improve and what are the risks associated with this surgery?

A. You may be a candidate but you have to be evaluated first. Thickness of the cornea is one factor and there are others. Best to get screened and then decide.

You can expect much improved vision from LASIK. Many, but not all, experience near perfect vision.

You may experience light bursts which are halos around lights. Sometimes these can be so bad as to prevent you from driving at night. This is rare but it does sometimes occur. You may also experience cronic dry eye which can be managed.

One of the requirement is that you have stopped growing. That means you have to be in your early 20's.

Good luck to you.


How often do you need a touch up or enhancement after laser eye surgery?
Q. I'm getting Lasik eye surgery in a week and I know that sometimes your vision cn slip back to where it had been previously, resulting in the need for a touch up surgery. I'm just wondering how often this happens. Any help would be much appreciated.

A. The answer for this question is quite variable actually. The major factor for the need for enhancements is undercorrection at the first surgery.

I had PRK 7 weeks ago and asked my surgeon what his "enhancement rate" was. His was about 10%. I asked for reasons and he stated the most common reason he saw was undercorrection. He said that a few cases of his were because the vision had not stabilized at the time the surgery was performed (too young of patients), so he raised his preferred minimum age to 21 and found he had fewer instances of this happening. I asked him then how long between the original surgery and the enhancements, and he told me that it really varied a lot...anywhere from within the first year to 10 years down the road.

I then asked him what my chances were for an enhancement...the answer I got was no chance...my corneas were pretty thin and there's just no room for a safe enhancement in the future...which is fine by me.

So, the answer to your question really truly lies in your corneal thickness preop, how much cornea is removed to correct your vision, your postop corneal thickness, and how accurate your preop measurements are for your visual acuity.

You will probably find you will need reading glasses once you hit your 40s...just about everyone does, LASIK or not.

Good luck! You'll be happy with your results...but ask your surgeon...even call him prior to your op date...and ask him about his personal enhancement rates and the length of time from the original surgery...and if you would be eligible for any enhancements in the future...if not...do not let them 'sell' you a lifetime enhancement plan that you will never be able to use.


what age is lasik eye surgery reccomended ?
Q. im 19 , i heared positive feedback about lasik eye surgery i asked 2 good doctors they told me if your 18+ its okay and there will be no complications ,, the next day i read in an article that it is recommended for 30-40 years old ! what do you think ?

A. The FDA has approved LASIK for those over the age of 18. The real question is whether or not your prescription is stable. See the source:

http://www.usaeyes.org/lasik/faq/lasik-age.htm





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: how old are you supposed to be to have lasik eye surgery?
Rating: 98% based on 3217 ratings. 4,8 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

0 comments:

  © Blogger template Camera Info by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP