Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Is it possible to fly jet in the air force with less than perfect vision?

Q. Just wondering if there is any possibility of someone with near-sightedness to join the air force, with the possibility of becoming a jet-fighter pilot. I've always heard that most, if not all, pilots have perfect 20/20 vision or better. I've also read that those with Lasik eye surgery are not allowed to become jet pilots since there are concerns regarding their safety. Can someone please shed some light. Thank you!

A. It depends on how severe your vision:
Currently it's 20/70 correctable to 20/20.
No colorblindness, astigmatism or nightblindness
Good depth perception.
If you wear hard contacts, quit.
If you wish to surgically correct your vision, PRK is the preferred method. LASIK has the danger of the flap becoming displaced under high negative-G maneuvers.
If you have any other questions please PM me.
OBTW
For the smarta#%$ dissing my bro's, well MAYBE if the Brits used the proper procedures to mark their locations, and MAYBE if they let others in the command chain know what they were doing, friendly fire incidents would be minimized.
Read the friggin' reports


What are the sight Requirements for becoming a fighter pilot in the Marine Corps?
Q. if you have bad eye sight but you have LASIK eye surgery and it is corected to 20/20 are you ok?

A. USN/USMC current vision standards:
20/40 correctable to 20/20
No colorblindness
No nightblindness
No astigmatism
I would not recommend LASIK surgery. If you are going to get your eyes surgically improved PRK is more likely to be accepted. LASIK is normally not accepted as there is a risk during a rapid-decompression or high negative-G maneuvers the flap may pop out of position.


I have astigmatism, can I get lasik eye surgery?
Q. How old do you have to be? What other alternatives are there, besides glasses, contacts, and lasik eye surgery? I'd like something permanant. How long does it take for it to heal? Are there serious risks during the procedure? If I can't get lasik eye surgery done, what's the problem? Sorry about all the questions, feel free to give me as much information as you can because I'm pretty sure I'm missing something that I'll want to know later . .

A. Sure.
Lasik works for most healthy people with healthy eyes who need total corrections less than about 3 or 4 diopters. It has to do with the shape of the eye and the thickness of the cornea.

You really should wait to have the proceedure until you have stopped growing and until your corrective prescriptive lenses have been the same for a year. When you are older, you will probably go 3 or 6 years without changing your prescription. You will not want to risk complications by having a lasik revision frequently while you are young.

The cornea is sliced with a micro thin blade (micro karatome) and flipped up. The lazer contours the freshly exposed inside tissue of the cornea and corrects the vision. The flap is then closed.

The corneal flap makes a bandage and the whole thing heals pretty quickly.

There are risks. Infection, halos in the night vision are the ones that come to mind.

You need to see two or three doctors, in my opinion. The consultations take about an hour. The consultations are free or about 50 dollars.

Lasik will not work if the astigmatism is very severe. My correction was more than 4.75 diopters and would have required PRK.

PRK requires the lazering off the front of the cornea and takes 2-3 weeks of rest and no work to heal.

My brother had PRK and needed 16 days. My sister had lasik and was back to work in three day. Both are happy and generally do not need any glasses.

See the doctors. Google LASIK and read about twenty sites.

God Bless you.


LASIK or other eye surgery for astigmatism?
Q. I've heard mixed things about getting corrective eye surgery if you have astigmatism. I'd like to hear from people who've had this done or know someone who has, who had bad astigmatism.

A. Kim -
I was in your shoes 10 months ago. I had terrible astigmatism. I went in for the free evaluation that a surgeon was offering. He was confident that he could help me.

Due to my having thin corneas, he performed Epi-Lasik, instead of Lasik (only difference that you need to worry about with those is Epi-Lasik has a longer & slightly more painful recovery time and I was not able to see CLEARLY for around 3 months - I was NOT aware of THAT going in).

Point of the story is though, that I CAN see very clearly now, I think my vision is 20/15. It's so wonderful not to depend on contacts when I had been wearing them for more than half of my life!

I hope you can find a surgeon as skilled as the one I found!
Good luck to you.





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Is it possible to fly jet in the air force with less than perfect vision?
Rating: 98% based on 3217 ratings. 4,8 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

0 comments:

  © Blogger template Camera Info by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP