Tuesday, December 4, 2012

hi what does eye sight right eye +3.50 -5.00 axis 5 and right eye +5.50 -5.00 axis 170 mean?

Q. am i suitable for laser eye surgery?

A. This is a lot of astigmatism. This degree is not treatable by laser surgery.
The site below analyzes your prescription and tells what options there might be for vision correction.


when i was 14 i had -5.50 in both eyes,now im nearly 17 and have -6.25 & -7.00, WillMyEyesContinueToGetWorse?
Q. my eyes are gradually getting worse and will they ever settle down? i had great vision until low myopia hit me when i was 7. 10 years on it has got bad.... i get worried at time. will laser eye surgery cure this, if so what age?

A. juvenile myopia progression usually levels off around age 22 for most people. after you stop getting worse, THEN yes you could have lasik & likely be prescriptionless


How bad is my vision on the 20/20 scale?
Q. My vision is very bad and has always been that way. I've had glasses since I was in second grade and have worn contacts since about fifth grade. As of right now (17, senior in high school) my vision is as bad as, if not worse than, my 50 year old parents'. My contact or glasses prescription or whatever is -5.50. What would that translate into on the 20/20 scale? I'm sure its reallyyy bad but I just want to know an estimate.
Also would I ever be a candidate for PRK or is this vision too bad? My eye doctor also says I have thin corneas or something so that would also bar me from ever getting laser eye surgery. Is this correct? Could my eyes change so I could get the surgery?
I want to know all of this because I'm very interested in joining the special operations military and/or FBI and they have vision requirments (which I am failing miserably). This is really all I want to do in my life, but my terrible vision is restraining me.


Sincerely,
a blind 17 year old

A. Don't panic -5.50 is a high prescription but I have seen alot worse. Their are individuals that have -10 and more. With your prescription you may not even be able to see the 20/400 line but that's okay you are not alone and it could be alot worse. Laser eye surgery has come along way and individuals with thin corneas can sometimes still have lasik. With the bladless lasik you can do 90 micron flaps now. PRK might be another option if you are extremely thin. Even if you are not a candidate for laser vision correction you could have a procedure called ICL. This procedure is done in the hospital. You are 17 so you need to wait a couple of years to your prescription is stable and not changing anymore. Go to a laser clinic and a full eye exam to see if you are eligible to have the surgery. It is a very in depth exam and will take about 2-3 hours. Please research your area and go to place that had a very experienced surgeon, technology and the support staff that supports both. Do your homework but please don't panic it will get better you just need to wait a little and look at your options after carefully looking over all the possibilities. I wish you all the best and I hope that you can have laser vision correction.


Is there an alternative to LASIK eye surgery for teens?
Q. I want to have LASIK eye surgery, but I am only a young teenager. My eyesight is very poorly. My prescription is R 5.50 and L 6.00. The prescription usually increase by 0.75 to 1.00 per year. I constantly wear glasses and everything becomes blurry when I take them off. My eyes usually get tired after just a few hours of reading. My cousin have contacts and he says they're not really comfortable and makes his eyes itchy, watery, and red. I am wondering is there any effective, alternatives to LASIK eye surgery that can be used by teenagers? Also, even if I wait until I am 20-25 years old and meet all the requirements, is their a prescription limit that will disqualify me as a candidate? (For instance, if your eyes are R 12 and L 12.25 or whatever, can you still have the surgery?) I don't even mind if I still have to wear glasses, I just want my prescription to be reduced so my life would be easier (like reading books, studying, playing sports,etc.)

A. Unfortunately, there are no surgical options for teens. These surgeries are considered cosmetic and teens can't sign to have them until they are 18. Even then, I would wait until your mid 20's because your eyes are still changing and won't become stable until then. So right now, your only options are glasses or contacts. Most lasers these days will treat pretty high prescriptions. Even -5.00, -6.00 and some higher. Most doctors will try to talk you out of it the higher your prescription is because the more prescription they need to treat means the more cornea they will have to laser and remove. Not a good idea. Just be patient, see a doctor when you are ready and of age and by then the technology will be more advance where it can treat higher prescriptions.





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: hi what does eye sight right eye +3.50 -5.00 axis 5 and right eye +5.50 -5.00 axis 170 mean?
Rating: 98% based on 3217 ratings. 4,8 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

0 comments:

  © Blogger template Camera Info by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP