Monday, December 3, 2012

How effective is lasik surgery?

Q. I am thinking about getting lasik surgery. I have been told that I am a good candidate by my eye doctor. But, I worry about the effectiveness. I have astigmatism and very dry eyes when I wear contacts. Any advice?

A. I had LASIK surgery when I was 20 years old and I am currently 24. And I have not worn contact lenses or glasses since the day of my surgery!

Personally, I have not known anyone to have anything but wonderful results from their LASIK surgery. However, it can happen that the surgeon (opthalmologist) under-corrects or over-corrects your eyes and you must have a second surgery called an enhancement to fix it. Overall, this is pretty rare though. Almost all LASIK surgeries are done by laser and are VERY precise.

If your eye doctor says you are a good candidate, that's great! It is very easy to correct astigmatism with LASIK as well.

I also had very dry eyes when I used to wear contacts. I was always told that one of the side effects from LASIK is that you will have dry eyes. However, I didn't have that side effect. My eyes felt just fine! So it really just depends on the person.

You will have other side effects such as glare and halos for about 6 months or so after the surgery, and your eyes may ache a little bit right after the surgery or you may feel like you have a piece of sand in your eye right after the surgery. But generally, everyone is totally pain-free the next day!

I actually saw 20/20 the next morning, right after my surgery! It was astonishing!

So I guess my advice ... go for it! It was WELL worth it for me. I love it!


What do you think about lasik eye surgery?
Q. I want to get lasik surgery but I remember about 9 years ago when I was about 18 and I wanted to get the procedure done, someone I worked with told me that it was dangerous. She told me before lasik there was a different type of eye surgery. It produced the same result as the lasik but 20 years later there vision was worse than before and they were practically blind. That scared me. Is this true? Is lasik surgery safe?

A. LASIK eye surgery is a medical procedure that can correct your vision by altering the physical properties of your eye. Unlike traditional surgical procedures that depend upon the skills and steadiness of the surgeon's hand, advanced LASIK eye surgery is computer controlled.

The more progressive LASIK surgery centers perform in-depth analysis of your eyes as an evaluation procedure to determine if you're a good candidate for the LASIK procedure. The evaluation process, which is largely controlled by computer itself, maps the overall physical makeup of each eye. A traditional eye exam determines your visual abilities and then an exhaustive computer analysis determines if your eyes can be enhanced by the LASIK procedure.

In addition to determining whether or not you're a good candidate for LASIK, the procedure also records quite a bit of data that's specific to your eyes. If you choose to proceed with the LASIK surgery, this data is used to program the computer controlled LASIK equipment to insure that your eyes are modified exactly in the proper manner so as to provide maximum benefit.

LASIK eye surgery does carry some risks, such as loss of vision. In some extremely rare cases, the patient may lose vision due to equipment malfunction, scarring or healing related complications.

One common risk of LASIK eye surgery is that any dry eye condition that is experienced right after surgery may hamper the healing process. Signs of dryness are burning, redness and decreased vision. If this dry eye condition persists, you may have to medicate to improve tear duct function and use artificial tears to maintain the proper level of moisture. You must keep your eyes moist after LASIK surgery in order to promote healing.

LASIK eye surgery is relatively safe and it can free you from glasses and contacts. Before you commit to LASIK surgery, make sure that you consider all the advantages and disadvantages of having the procedure. Ask the doctor lots of questions so that you can make an informed decision about whether LASIK eye surgery is the right choice for you.


Does humidity level in the air affect dry eye after Lasik?
Q. It's been almost 6 months since my Lasik surgery, and my eyes are still dry. Not dry like in the first month, but just slighty blurry vision from being dry. The blurry vision goes away when I put drops in, but then comes back after a while when my eyes get dry.

I'm not living in the desert in Arizona, and I was just wondering if my dry eye would be resolved if I lived in someplace with a higher humidity??

Thanks,
Robin

A. More than likely, it's a condition you'll have to live with no matter where you live. Dry eyes after LASIK is very common. Make sure you're drinking enough water and keep using your moisturizing drops. You should talk to your ophthalmologist about possibly getting a prescription for Restasis or having punctal plugs put in.


How often does LASIK surgery not work out fine?
Q. I'm thinking of getting LASIK surgery, because I have horrible vision, but I wanna know the risk. I would like to know what kind of percentage is there, that my surgery won't work out fine? Please help!

A. Most common complication is Dry Eyes Syndrome, 21% report
Second common complication is Undercorrection & Overcorrection
Third common complication is Night vision problem, Glare, Halos, Night-driving problem, 19.3% report


Starbursts after Lasik, 19.7% report
Haze after Lasik, less than 1% report
Induced Astigmatism after Lasik
Regression & Not Permanent after Lasik, less than 5% report
Epithelial Ingrowth after Lasik, as low as 0.2% and as high as 15%


Corneal Abrasion after Lasik
Flap Never Heals after Lasik, 2% report
Diffuse Lamellar Keratitis (DLK) after Lasik, 0.7% - 32% report
Infection after Lasik, 1:20 for Lasik versus contact lens use
keratoconus after Lasik, 0.04% - 0.6% report


the site give me a lot of help, u can check it
http://www.lasikreviews.co.uk/lasik-eye-surgery-complications-risks.htm





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: How effective is lasik surgery?
Rating: 98% based on 3217 ratings. 4,8 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

0 comments:

  © Blogger template Camera Info by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP