Friday, September 20, 2013

I'm legally blind in my left eye - is there anything I can do?

laser eye surgery 3d movies
 on laser eye surgery 3d on Perform Laser Eye Surgery on a Photo with ...
laser eye surgery 3d movies image




Amy Iacobu


I'm 16 years old, and I have barely been able to see in my left eye since i've been born.
I've never cared all that much about my eye sight, but I tend to have a slight "lazy eye" ( really, when I get tired ) because of it.
I was in Disney, Orlando yesterday for a family reunion. We went as a group to an "amazing mickey 3-D movie". Both sides of the 3-D glasses were black. Even so, I can't see the 3-D. I've never been able to. According to my family it was the best 3-D experience they've seen, and I was pretty dissapointed that i'm unable to experience it.
Jealous, maybe. I'll admit it. Like i've been told , i'm blessed because it could be a lot worse ,

But i'm wondering - Could it be better? Can I get an eye surgery to fix it?
( I've been told by surgeons - i've had two eye surgeries - that lasic/laser eye surgery won't fix it )



Answer
Maybe.....

It really depends what type of strabismus you have in that left eye and it depends on a TON of other factors. And as you have discovered, strabismic folks cannot enjoy 3D movies, unfortunately.

The good news is that there is NO age limit for vision therapy! While yes, the best results occur when you are very young, but studies have shown time and time again that teenagers and adults can get benefit from vision therapy. Whether or not you'll ever be able to see 3D, no one can tell you that.

However, if you are serious about checking this out, I would recommend you find an optometrist (NOT an ophthalmologist .... they only do surgery) in your area that specialized in strabismus and/or binocular vision. I don't know where you are located, but at my optometry school I attend we have an awesome vision therapy department and an awesome staff. Having a complete workup to know what type of strabismus you have, how much vision can be improved in that left eye, and lots of other factors we need to know, can maybe give you a better idea if it is possible for your eye to improve.

Surgery *maybe* will help, but you need to remember that your brain plays a huge role in what you see. Sure, you can have surgery to make your eyes straight, but if your brain doesn't know what to do with the image in your left eye, the surgery is useless to you. So we have to re-train your brain first to "see" with that left eye, and that's what the vision therapy does.

So I can't tell you if your vision in the left eye could be better, or if you are capable of seeing 3D. You'd need to have a full workup like I described above. But it's worth checking it out!




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: I'm legally blind in my left eye - is there anything I can do?
Rating: 98% based on 3217 ratings. 4,8 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

0 comments:

  © Blogger template Camera Info by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP