Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Can a 16 year old get lasik eye surgery?




Adam


I wanted to get lasik eye surgery when I turn 16 because I keep losing my contacts or am in to much of a rush to put them in.
I plan on paying for it myself.

But i'm unsure if I would be able to get it.

I am basically fully grown physically


If so would my mom need to sign a waiver?



Answer
This is what happened to me. When I was 24 I noticed I was seeing spots in my right eye. After a month or so, the spots turned into complete blackness. I couldn'tsee anything in the inner corner of my right eye. I went to a doctor and he told me that I had a detaching retina. I already lost 30% of my vision and would continue to lose it without immediate surgery. I asked him how this happened, and he said that b/c I am nearsighted, I ran a greater risk of it happening. When you have bad vision, something in your eye has to work harder- and sometimes forgets to do its job. The point of this is at that point, I asked him that if I had gotten lasik beforehand (which I had wanted to do), would I have prevented this problem? Because then I wouldn't have been nearsighted. This is what killed me- he said that it would have INCREASED my chances of that happening! Can you imagine plopping down $6k or so for that surgery only for that to happen and lose your vision?

Don't get it done. You are too young and even though lasik has been around for a while, you hold the advantage of seeing what developments and breakthroughs are still to come. I know it sucks- I had glasses at age 9 and contacts from 13 to present (26). No matter what, it's better than having no vision at all!

LASIK Eye Surgery questions?




Cloud S


I have a few questions:
1) What is the minimum age you can have the procedure?
2) Are the risks the same for all ages?
3) What is the average cost of the procedure?
4) Can you have it done more than once to correct any problems that could arise (over correcting/under correcting)? I'm assuming the answer is no to this one :/

I'm currently 16 and I am almost positive that is too young. Mainly because I know my eyes are still changing. I was curious as to whether or not I could get it done by college. I don't where my glasses that often and my vision isn't terrible. I drive with my glasses off unless it's dark or I'm with someone that would feel more comfortable with me wearing them.
Ok cool I've gotten most of my answers. Just one more that I thought of: will insurance pay for it or at least help a little? I know it depends on the insurance company but CAN they?



Answer
The law in the US says you have to be 18. The risks depend on so many factors that you really need to be assessed to know what your individual risks might be. Costs are different all over the US, and depending on the surgeon and his equipment and his education. Do not go by price alone, but know that the $4,000 per eye surgeons fix the problems that the $399 per eye surgeons cause. Rarely vice versa. You usually are screaned for tear layer and thickness of cornea as well as stability of your vision. Age is not really a factor per se. Enhancement surgeries are common and expected as the proceedure does not keep your eyes from changing like they normally would anyway. Next eye exam you have, you should ask your eye doctor what they think about lasik for you specifically. There are no cookie cutter answers here.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Can a 16 year old get lasik eye surgery?
Rating: 98% based on 3217 ratings. 4,8 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

0 comments:

  © Blogger template Camera Info by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP