Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Is laser eye surgery worth the risk if it means I can fly?




Buddy12345


I want to be a pilot in the air force more than anything. I heard that they allow laser eye surgery in some situations. My vision is 20/60 correctable to 20/10. If I should be so lucky as to get the opportunity..is laser eye surgery worth it? I don't want to ruin my life with a mistake..but I don't want live my life with regret either...


Answer
I'm no doctor, but as a retired WSO in the USAF, I CAN tell you that eye surgery was actually encouraged among aircrews. There's two types: LASIK, and "PRK". Of the two PRK is more expensive, generally, but provides better results, and was the approved technique. I understand, now though, that LASIK is also acceptable.
Before you spend the money on an initial exam, and possibly surgery though, I would ensure you can pass the other requirements for an Initial Class I Phyiscal:
No astigmatism, and good/excellent depth perception
No significant loss of hearing
No history of asthma, heart conditions or high/low blood pressure
Haven't been unconscious for more than 5-6 minutes since the age of 12. (Being under for surgery is OK.)
Have a sitting height of =< 48". Don't want to leave your knees behind if you have to eject some day.
Not diabetic. History of diabetes in your family's OK, as long as you aren't tested positive.
Not tested positive for HIV.
Not excessively over/underweight for your height, AND at least 5'4" for males, 5' for females (though this can be waivered.
If you're pretty much otherwise good to go, and this is what you really want to do, then maybe you should consider an initial exam. Not everyone has vision that can be laser-corrected.

How risky eye surgery is?




Jack


I am planning of getting a job that requires perfect vision (now I am 15 years old, my vision is around 20/60) . So option is to get eye surgery when I will be 19-22 years old. But I want to know the risks of such a surgery.
Thanks!



Answer
Lasik is dangerous. They remove tissue and then shoot a laser to your cornea which has UV light. Even if you see after the surgery, Your vision can get worse as you get older. Some people have a bad procedure and their eyes are destroyed. Here is a link to a website that warns of how the Lasik industry is hiding long term risks.

http://www.lasikcomplications.com/

Your vision is 20/60 like mine was. If you tried to do eye exercises you could improve eyesight. Try to google the bates method. Or eye exercises. Google palming eye exercise and palm for a couple of minutes each day or as long as you want. I was able to improve my eyesight and get an unrestricted driver's liscence which means I can legally drive without glasses. Try to reduce the amount of time you wear your glasses and only wear them when needed. You could also wear a weaker prescription and adjust to needing less prescription. Wear your old glasses if you know what I mean.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Is laser eye surgery worth the risk if it means I can fly?
Rating: 98% based on 3217 ratings. 4,8 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

0 comments:

  © Blogger template Camera Info by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP